Friday, February 3, 2012

Gouache and I are slowly becoming friends...

Just finished my second painting assignment of the year, and I have finally realized something about painting with gouache, you really need to take it slow!
And it turns out, the work you produce with it once you've taken that step, really isn't bad. :)

So, for this assignment (the second of the semester), we had to repaint a copy of an animation background from any animated movie you like.
I chose this one from Disney's Mulan.


I honestly didn't think I would be able to do it, as originally I had chosen something much less complicated or visually interesting. But I decided to give it a go anyway.
The tonal turned out pretty good.


Once I knew I could do something similar in black and white, I figured I could probably pull of a coloured version.

The painting took me almost seven hours to complete, but I did complete it!
The colours do not match exactly, and the accuracy of the details is widely different in most cases, but I feel I was able to achieve the style well. I am happy with this one.


Here are the two compared. The reference image is on the top and the final image, completed by myself is on the bottom.
I can sleep happy now knowing that I may actually got a decent mark on this one. At least, I am hoping.

Anyway, this weekend will be great anyway, as my Dad is visiting me from home!
Hope you all have an awesome weekend too!


No comments:

Post a Comment